Subject: Re: 4 out 5 LW animators agree, Crust is good for you!
From: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 01:51:52 -0400 (EDT)

> I was playing with the Crust  texture last night but I couldn't figure
> out how or what the parmeters do for it... I looked in the small 
> manual that came with 3.5 an coudn't find anything in it...
> 
> Has anyone used crust in an anim and if so what was it used for?

Crust is often used for making landscapes, like the moon (haven't used it 
much myself...), and is certainly good for other things.  The July 95 
LWPro (with Voyager on the cover) explains the settings of the Bump 
Array, Crust, Crumple and Viens textures in detail (page 8).

Basic stuff:

The example in LWPro says "like Dots, but you can have randomly placed 
dots of variable sizes".  That's accomplised by setting the Ledge Level 
and Ledge Width to 0%

AKAIK, Ledge Level is the "height" of the crust, Ledge Width is the 
amount of, well, the ledge between the top of the crust and the rest of 
the surface (does that make sense?) Coverage is how much of the surface 
is covered by the Crust (I think it's a %, like .3 is 30%).  Bump 
Strength is how high the bumps go, and can be negative for some neat FX.

The author (Enrique Munoz) uses it to make a really neat condesing water 
effect on a Coke can pm the color pages of LWPro.

Hope this helps...

-- Joe
--
Joe Angell <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]